Friday 27 May 2011

The Antics at Creative Cuisine!

for this week I was working at a small but incredible catering company by the name of "Creative Cuisine". Run by an amazing chef of the name Zoe Busby. I arrived at work on Tuesday to discuss the up and coming function for which she required my help. An amazing kitchen based on the far end of Hout Bay with a view that can and will take your breath away.

Zoe was responsible for the Menu of canapes to be served at a showing of a Penthouse on Loop street in Town this past Thursday evening. Between Tuesday and Thursday it was strangely a roller coaster of emotions going on. Certain things going on in life, work pressures, emotional pressures and all in all a tough week. And it showed blatantly. Had an absolute mare the day of the Function where Not only did I arrive late due to setting my alarm incorrectly but walked away from my car to discover later on that my lights had been left on...
I got into work and the first thing planned on my agenda was to bake the 78 eggs worth of creme brulee mix that I had prepped on the Wednesday evening. So as I took the brulee mix out of the fridge and placed it on the table, ready to be strained before baking, I lost grip of the pot, performed some unsuccessful gymnastics to try and catch it, but it was too late and my/Zoe's brulee mix was all over the floor!

It was at this point of me trying to scoop it all off the floor and into the bin that my car alarm started going off in a sort of energyless way for me to come to its aid and realise the battery was too finished to start the car. Couldn't worry about that then because I obviously had brulee to catch up on.
This is what a bucket of dirt brulee mix looks like :(

I was feeling really low and rather useless at this point. I managed by the end to get 135 brulees made as well as some lovely sugar garnish prepped for the crack. Before I had time to even eat something, we were on out way to the show house to get started.

A beautiful 7th floor apartment with the most incredible views of Cape Town and Table mountain that you could ever wish to see. Getting that much food up to the 7th floor though can tend to be a bit of a logistical nightmare when there is only one lift with a bunch of people using it.

We set up our stations ready to prep canapes. An old friend Esslen de Vries was working with us that night, so we were well prepared and capable to execute what turned out to be an amazing function with some very influential people raving about the amazing food we had made.


Zoe and the Amazing View
Chilli glazed prawns, avo salsa & sesame potato tuille


Prawns again...
Potato cakes with smoked salmon, creme fraiche and caviar



Beef involtonis and Parmesan shortbread with caprese

Lavender Creme Brulees with chopped lavender sugar










The view of the penthouse from the pool









                                       

1 comment:

  1. If you wish to get a hold of Zoe, Please contact her at
    Tel: 021 791 3979
    Cell: 083 628 0953
    For all your bespoke catering requirements!

    ReplyDelete