Tuesday 17 May 2011

Upon returning from Paradise!! What now...


There was definitely much to see and do on the Island of Mahe. It is a beautiful place with incredibly friendly locals always willing to share a drink or some food off the barbecue, usually a delightfully grilled fresh fish of some kind like Red Snapper. The locals within the islands enjoy there food with plenty heat to it, the Spicy kind. Comprising of Chillies, home-crushed curry-powders and a variety of many flavours that come together beautifully. As long as you have a tissue for the runny nose afterward.

Now in regards to my work there is very little I can say publicly and Photos of where that was are a no no. What I will say though, is cooking for 200 peeps per meal, some hard graft. It was amazing having time off everyday to snorkel, walk on the beach and fall in love with my new found friend, Photography. Being able to capture images of paradise and know that whenever you look at them again the memories of the sand between your toes and the sizzling water around your ankles come rushing back into a falsified yet palpable existence.

After my stint at work I had a whole weekend to myself to do as I pleased. I was staying in my cousins company flat in Victoria, Mahe's Capital. It was beautiful. At the time it felt a bit lonely being the by myself but looking back I truly admire the time of reflection and appreciation I was having for being on this island adventure.

On the Saturday I walked. I walked for over 30km, Camera in hand and a burning desire to see EVERYTHING! I walked first to town, to buy a pair of Sunglasses as I had left mine back at work. I skimmed through the overpriced souvenirs on sale around every corner, met a couple of locals offering to take me here, there or anywhere :) Politely declined most offers. I then returned to the flat to drop off some groceries and decided I was going to head down to the local botanical gardens. Very similar to our own Kirstenbosch, just plenty smaller and with hundreds of fruit bats flying through the day time sky, some of them the size of a small albatross. Saw the giant tortoises that were housed there too and it was around that time that the imminent mosquito gang-rape occurred. Literally counted 17 on me at one point.

After that I just continued to walk, up the mountain passes, dodging fruit bats, cars, buses, angry dogs and a local basketball team screaming "Hey there white boy, what ya doin man?" :) All good fun really.

So once I was home, stiff as a board from all the exercise I hadn't even realised I had put myself through, I decided I should plan the next day a little better. Through a contact I managed to organise a rent a car for the Sunday. I asked the landlord to wake me up at 8am when the car arrived and I would drive the whole......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

            So  Now it was Sunday and my alarm went blaring at 6am. Rushed        out of bed, jumped into the shower, got my clothes on, ate some breakfast and sat and waited with baited breath for the car to arrive. I checked some emails, did some Facebook, and still nothing. Between 7am and 8am was the longest hour of my trip. I just wanted to get into the car and be free to go wherever. The plan was to go fetch my friend Theo who was still at work and we would then try and find the infamous beach called Ans Major. Apparently the most beautiful beach on Mahe. Ring Ring.....I answered the phone to the voice of...."Mr Orviss, Your car is waiting for you"....Boooya bitches!!!

And this is what I was greeted by, The oh so tiny KIA Picanto 1 litre. My biggest disappointment was the lack of a CD player but hey, earphones and MP3 player works just as well. So off I went, first to the petrol station as the car was sniffing on fumes at that point.

So once I had managed to get some gas in, I was on my way to fetch Theo, He's the guy you see below the car pic. An amazingly well spoken and witty chef from Johannesburg.
On the way I stopped and took plenty photos, but not before getting stuck in a 45 minute traffic jam caused by an 18 wheeler truck going off a cliff and into the sea. The one thing about the Roads on the islands is that they barely accommodate cars going in both direction let alone trucks, buses etc.

So now as I was taking my time, wind of the accident had already reached the other end of the island about this accident and whilst I was happy stopping an taking photos at every pretty point I could, I was doing a good job of increasing the worrying brigade back at work thinking that I was somehow involved in this fatal truck accident. I arrived not that long over due and hauled Theo into the car with our other passenger, a huge cooler box filled to the brim with all sorts of...um...'water' :)

On our way out of one of the local ladies I had worked with in kitchen called and wanted a lift to town so we fetched Clarence, just down the road and now this poor KIA was hauling ass & water up and down the mountains. Not much chance for the Air-con to be       getting any action.
We finally made it to town with a significant dent in the petrol gauge and now one less passenger as we had dropped off Clarence at the hospital to visit some family. So now Theo and I were off again. To Beauvalon beach we were headed. Niether of us had ever been to this part of the island before so we were at risk of getting him, myself, cooler box and the KIA very lost indeed.
But we prevailed we came out at the beach to be greeted with a spectacular view of sheer paradise, Jet Skis, Fishing boats, Children kicking balls and playing in the water, topless tanners and of course white sand with the most turquoise water you could ever hope to see.  


I got a little bit side tracked when I saw the jet skis as I had never been on one before. Theo was holding up great conversation as always but my mind was on the 700cc beast that was skimming across the waters of this picturesque scene. I asked around and found out that they were available to rent in 20 minutes stints. I tracked down the guy running the show and he said if I have the cash I can use it. No questions asked, no papers signed, there is the accelerator....now GO!!! and off I went


No comments:

Post a Comment