Monday 22 August 2011

The food and life at Mnemba...


So once again I do need to apologise for a neglectful speel towards my blog, I have found due to an annoying borderline addiction to Facebook that it has been easier to just keep posting my photos there but not consolidating the entire story as a whole and thus not giving true justice to explaining what this life is all about.

To be up front and frank, to all of you that miss me and all of those that I miss I want you to understand that I have found an intense happiness here at Mnemba that I have not felt in a long time. It doesnt involve trying to live life for other people. I am here because I want to be and this amazing opportunity has been put on a plate for me so to speak :)

So as opposed to everybody asking when am I coming home, I ask rather, when are you coming to visit?

Ok so lets get started at the begining. I have taken the position as joint Executive Chef working alongside an incredibly talented chef by the name of Brendan Stein, Granger Bay trained and with experience under chefs such as Luke Dale Roberts, he is a force to be reconned with. We have so far proved to work rather well together. We are in charge of all the ordering for the entire island, from toilet paper to tamarind paste. There is so much information to take on board and responsibilty to maintain between the 2 of us that if it were not for the guidance of the currently departing chefs, Judi Fourie and Richard Tewnion, it would be a seemingly insurmountable venture. They have taught us how all the ordering systems work and from which part of the world to be ordering which ingredients. We have supply chains in Zanzibar mainland, Tanzania from the head office in Arusha, and from South Africa too.

Keeping track of all the different areas and where to get what, really fills the mind with constant thought of whats left in the fridges and freezers as you use it. An incredibly challenging but incredibly rewarding task. In the meanwhile the venture of putting in our own rotational menu is on the cards. Slowly incorporating our own dishes into the culinary design of an island lodge that prides itself on truly amazing tasting but simple food. With our backgrounds we do find ourselves having to pull back a little from overcomplicating the menu design.

Brendan and I also have to maintain the discipline of the local chefs that are altogether
very well experienced and knowledgable yet at times complaicent, sometimes requiring a push in the right direction when things go towards the ‘Shaggabagala” (Swahili term for out of control J).

Makame, Sully and Jamal in the back (hot kitchen chefs)
Well enough about that for now, its time for me to make your mouth water and your faces green with envy:
Suliman searing off some fresh tuna on the Grill!


Richie & Judi, the chefs whos shoes Brendan and I have to fill.
Brendans prawn and aubergine starter
My Orange cardamom cheesecake with rhubarb dessert



Definned shark to the left and complete shark head to the top middle of pic

Spotted ray on the slaughter at the local market, the sad thing is that they don't know what they are catching/killing!!!




Roja at the pass setting up bar snacks
Brendan ready for service...



Beef Carpaccio with rocket and onion salad with Aioli





 Banoffee (banana & coffee) french toast with rum & vanilla ice cream, banana crisps and sherry syrup

Turtle hatching in between service with 98 baby turtles and canapes :)

The kitchen cowboys!!!

This is me plating a raspberry and port miele-fuille with vanilla ice cream (ear phone in ear with Mumford and sons as inspiration)

Me on my birthday recieving my Mnemba island Rash-vest with the whole crew :)

No comments:

Post a Comment